Matthew 23:1-12 ASV
(1) Then spake Jesus to the multitudes and to his disciples,
(2) saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat:
(3) all things therefore whatsoever they bid you, these do and observe: but do not ye after their works; for they say, and do not.
(4) Yea, they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with their finger.
(5) But all their works they do to be seen of men: for they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,
(6) and love the chief place at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,
(7) and the salutations in the marketplaces, and to be called of men, Rabbi.
(8) But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your teacher, and all ye are brethren.
(9) And call no man your father on the earth: for one is your Father, even he who is in heaven.
(10) Neither be ye called masters: for one is your master, even the Christ.
(11) But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.
(12) And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled; and whosoever shall humble himself shall be exalted.
John 5:39-40 ASV
(39) Ye search the scriptures, because ye think that in them ye have eternal life; and these are they which bear witness of me;
(40) and ye will not come to me, that ye may have life.